The whole banana ice-cream thing has kind of become ubiquitous...if you tend to browse healthy food/fitness blogs, which I kind of do sporadically. To be honest, the concept of freezing and blending bananas and then pretending that the smoothie in your plate is ice-cream...well, that's the reason people think runners are crazy. But my addiction to Ben & Jerry's forced me to look for alternatives to fulfill my frozen dairy cravings. And actually, it wasn't that bad. Really! I swear! It really wasn't! And you can customize, and add toppings, mix-ins, anything blendable and boom you've got ice-cream!
- 2 Bananas sliced and frozen (at least 3 hours)
- Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
- Milk (optional)
- Sugar (Optional: add with caution!)
- Optional Toppings:
- For Chocolate Ice-Cream add semi-melted Chocolate chips
- For Strawberry Ice-Cream add 6 strawberries sliced and frozen (at least 3 hours)
- For Peanut Butter Ice-cream add 1 tbsp peanut butter
- Check out The Kitchn for more toppings and ideas!
- Blend frozen bananas in a blender or food processor, be patient and let it blend for a bit till it starts looking creamy till it gets to the consistency of ice-cream
- I recommend the food processor unless you have a really strong blender
- Add the Vanilla Extract and Milk and continue to blend
- Add sugar after tasting! I don't usually add sugar to mine.
- Add any optional toppings and continue to blend until it's all mixed in
- Scoop up from the blender or food-processor and serve!
Hope this encourages you to do some freezing!
P.S. I'm still working on my food photography given my tiny kitchen and pretty dark apartment, but I'll get the hang of it!